The Presbyterian Church of Nigeria remembers the creation of the Presbytery of Biafra for the oversight of the congregations formed and Creek Town and Duke Town on September 1, 1858, and to be known as “The Presbyterian Church in Biafra.” The Church gives thanks to God for the memory of its first indigenous Nigerian minister, the Rev. Esien Esien Ukpabio, ordained to the holy ministry by the Presbytery of Biafra on April 9, 1872. The Church still rejoices when on May 4, 1921 the Synod of Biafra was formed, comprised of two Presbyteries. The Synod became “The Presbyterian Church of Eastern Nigeria” in June, 1952, and in recognition of its own national character and mission, in June 1960 changed its name to “The Presbyterian Church of Nigeria”.
The Presbyterian Church of Nigeria gives glory to God and expresses its everlasting gratitude to the Church of Scotland, who already in 1945 began a plan of handing over to indigenous Nigerians that part of its Church established on Nigerian soil, to become a self governing and independent Nigerian counterpart to the Church of Scotland. This handing over was completed by 1960.